This website is so that all those who love Theresa can keep tabs on her adventures in Peace Corps-Ecuador!

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Training thus far...spanish, my new city, the weather

Okay...here we go for real.

We arrived in Ecuador on Wed. PM and were greeted by the PC staff at the airport. They helped us navigate our way through customs and told us to go outside and look for people with PC signs, but not to give our bags to anyone else. I was certain that we would not be able to find anyone because there were so many people at the airport arrivals. But immediately we heard people screaming "Yeahhhhh! Peace Corps Ecuador!!!" and there they all were! They gave us roses with fun little sayings on them...little tidbits about PC and Ecuador. They were so welcoming, and said that they are like a family here, and they welcomed us to their family.

We got on the bus (they split our group into 2, I arrived with the first group) and we went to the hostel (good thing I never saw that movie, because you know I would have been afraid to go!). The hostel was beautiful...I took pictures, but I was walking to this cafe by myself so I did not bring my camera to upload them (some other time, ya?). We had a snack and chatted with a current volunteer. I was getting super pumped about everything just listening to her talk about her site and everything she gets to do!

The next day, Thursday, we went to the PC (en espanol es Cuerpo de Paz) headquaters and were inroduced to all the staff. Filled out some paperwork about our background and what kinds of topics we would be comfortable teaching, etc. Shots were given, I only needed the rabies shot, although it is a 3 part seris so there will be more. We also took out first oral Spanish Exam. We road by bus from Quito to Cayambe to another training site. The bus ride was BEAUTIFUL! (again, pictures later). We did some days of training in Cayambe, nothing too exciting until they let us go to the mercado in groups and walk around town and talk to people. Parque Central was lovely, and there are fiestas going on in this region also, so there is lots to see.

I ended up testing at Spanish level IM (Intermedio Medio) which is were everyone needs to be to be sworn in, so it is a good starting place. I learned that not everyone here is that good at Spanish, so it was reassuring that i will not be leaning by myself! Saturday afternoon our Spanish facilitators brought us to our CBT (community based training) sites. Mine is in Tabacundo. It is a small, lovely city. My host mom says the name means old or antique. My host family is really nice, and I have a nice private area for living. I have gone with to buy pan, ir al mercado, and I have observed some washing of clothes (she scrubs them by hand before putting them in the machine). My family has cars, so we drive wherever we need to go in town, but most peple walk...there are lots of people roaming around the streets. The fiestas de San Pedro are here as well, so there is lots going on (not so much today, though, becuase it is Sunday).

So far, I havent had too many major mishaps, except for not being able to figure out how to make the electric shower work, calling a spoon a pig, and when I was entering this here internet cafe, I pulled three times on the door before I realized I was supposed to push...

I shared by scrapbook with my family last night, and you should all be delighted to know that they loved it. PC staff has told us not to wear our North Face backpacks around town (oh yes, they specified North Face, but worry not, I am not the only one with one), but said that once we get to our volunteer sites (in about 10 weeks) and get to know the people there, it should be okay.

Oh, and remember how I was certain that no where on the equator could be cold for a tough chic from Wisconsin? Well....I was wrong! It is cold here! We are in the friggin mountains, so I dont know why I did not believe what PC was telling me in the first place! I had to have staff go back to Quito to get my puffy vest for me (dont worry, he offered!). Its weird, because it will be cold enough for a winter jacket in the AM, and warm enough for a tshirt in the afternoon...but that easily switches on the minute with the moving of the clouds. And it is usually warmer outside than in, because of the direct sun (which when it hits me directly, makes me feel like my skin will turn to burnt toast on contact!).

Ahh...what can I say? I am having a great time adjusting to my new life!

Miss you all...

amor,
theresa

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

So exciting to read your adventures so far Theresa! Sounds like you are adjusting really well to everything and passing with flying colors! Keep writing, I love to read your messages...

theresa said...

thanks for the comment, i am glad you enjoy reading it. please dont take this offensively, but is this alyssa from work? i think so...
theresa

Raegan said...

I see that you are adjusting just fine and that you will come around. I hope that you are using sunblock for your toasty skin! LOL Your blogs make me laugh out loud and Zena's like what did she say and I tell her and she's like that was not funny and I'm like whatever you don't have to ruin my Theresa moment...SKANK! Then we laugh...LOL! Anyways, stay safe boo! I'm trying to keep up with the blogs as they come but I've been busy with work, finding a new job, looking for a new apartment and traveling. The weekend of July 13-15th I will be camping and whitewater rafting can you believe that S**t! I'm SUPER nervous about the bright idea. The Sassy 7 is going but Zena will not be attending...whack! Warm fuzzies! Later T