This website is so that all those who love Theresa can keep tabs on her adventures in Peace Corps-Ecuador!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Training in Miami

Hello All!
Okay, here is the real update on training. I have been in Miami for 2 days now for training and am writing this QUICKLY before I check out of the hotel.
Basically, training was a lot like Child Welfare CORE trainings. Lots of topics, group activities, etc. about cultural competence, safety, culture shock, living in another country, etc. I feel like it went well, the trainer was beyond excellent-he did PC Ecuador back in the day, and then stayed in Ecuador for like 20 years running a school. So, suffice to say that he was knowledgable. We learned all kinds of things, like food that is common, how to avoid petty theft and things, safety in general, all kinds of things.
I feel pretty good about leaving (we fly out to Quito today) but I still dont think it has completly sunken in yet. I feel a bit (more than a bit) behind in the Spanish language confidence and the living abroad experience, but I figure those things will even out. As I often told clients about parenting classes: you can be told the rules all you want, but you dont know the game until you play. I am hoping that is really the case with this. Because in the subtle "how versed are you in Latino Culture" game that is going on a bit, I feel like I am losing!
Anyhow, I have met some really cool people here! There are people here from ALL over: LSU, Virginia Tech, Hawaii, Ohio, Detroit, Chicago, everywhere you could imagine. Lots of folks are fresh out of college, a few are out a few years like me.
We will in Quito for a few days and then to Cayambe for several weeks, then THEN we will find out our post and job assignment. I cannot wait for that! Lots of people are concerned about where they are going to live, but I am more worried about what I will be doing (can you say American workaholic? yes, yes I know).
Thats all I have for now, I will write the next time that I can. With 40-some folks wanting to use the few computers we have access to, the pickings are slim!
I miss every last one of you kids.

peace,
theresa

No comments: