This website is so that all those who love Theresa can keep tabs on her adventures in Peace Corps-Ecuador!

Thursday, September 27, 2007

I Have Lost my Voice

And I dont mean that in some deep, analogy based manner. I mean actually, I have lost my voice! I have larangytis, or however the hell it is spelled. How did my simple case of the gripe get this bad? Well, that depends on who you ask. According to my counterpart, it is directly related to the fact that I do not eat enough soup. Traditional Ecuadorian resturants serve soup with basically ever meal, I usually just order the segundo (second course), which means that it comes without soup. Because, really?...why would you eat a warm ass bowl of liquid when it has got to be about 100 degrees outside?!?! Come on people. Cheese soup is just about the only exception I make, and even then its campo cheese, but whatever, beggers cant be choosers. My counterpart also thinks that my aversion to soup will lead to anemia. She pulled down my bottom eyelids and looked into my eyes and declared, "Yup, you are gonna get anemia." Oki-doki, whatever you say.

So what should I do about this sickness that I am sick with? Again, call in the experts. One of the guys in my office gave me some crazy ass root and told me to make a tea out of it. I think its ginger? I dont know, he said they use it in China. My dueña told me that its more picante (spicy) than aji (garlic) so, yeah. Not really trying to drink a garlic tea. Before I lost my voice, my dueña said that I really ought to do something about this gripe quickly. She says that medical research shows that the gripe causes a loss of brain nuerons. Yikes! Now its an emergency! But still, how do you kick the gripe? Tea, or course. So we make a tea with cinnimon and lime. Its gonna be "bien feo" (really ugly tasting) she warns me, so we add sugar and sqeeze some more lime into it. Finnishing touch? Rum of course. Which she only keeps in the house for making cake and gripe fighting teas. "Its gonna make you sweat" she tells me, umm...perhaps because I am sipping on a hot water/liquor mix, I think. But whatever, I drink the tea. It tasted good, the gripe did not go away.

In fact, it just got worse. Who knows what caused it. I believe that it is my body sending me a sign that I need to take more breaks. I have been put in charge at the office of what I like to call Proyecto: Bolsos (Project: Bags). There are some parties coming up in Decemeber. I have no idea what the parties are for; Ecuador has parties for everything, like the founding of towns, the first time the president farted, who knows. Anyhow, there are some parties in December where lots of people from the northern coastal town of Esmeraldes will be coming to Guayaquil. Parties mean drinking. Drinking leads to risky behavior which can include drugs and sex. Drugs and sex can lead to HIV/AIDS, in comes my organization. Prevention of HIV/AIDS is what we do, folks. So we are making 1000 fabric bags to stuff with information on HIV/AIDS prevention, safe sex, condoms, etc. Pretty cool idea, I think. Plus, we are finally going to use the sewing workshop that is stocked with 8 machines that have sat around collecting dust for the last 2 years, cuz no body knows how to use them. Who´s in charge of supervising the project? Theresa, of course (a theme is starting in my office, its called take advantage of the work-a-holic. What´s that, you know how to sew? speak English? write a budget? dance? Why dont you teach us!!!). Simple task, right? Yeah, its simple enough (although I have now nicked-named the sewing room "the sweatshop" Call it karma kicking me in the ass for buying the bootlegged, sweatshop made Abercrombie and Hollister shirts the other day...but whatever. Check your clothing tags, if it says "Made in Peru" chances are I can get it in Ecuador for $2 when it sells for $18 in the States...). I enjoy sewing, and I get to teach people how to sew: so my needs are met. We are paying people from the communities to sew and the folks from the organization are finally learning to use the machines that they have: so their needs/ Peace Corps wants are met. I.E. World Peace is met by way of Proyecto: Bolso, and I helped!

Outside of that, I really have been making strides with my work independance. I have a (work in progress, ever changing) weekly schedule that does not always include my counterpart carting me around to the different barrios. I gave a charla on HIV/AIDS to the jovenes in my favorite barrio the other day. After the charla, a group of girls asked me where I live and if they can come hang out at my house because I am "bein chevere" (pretty cool). To put it simply: Dream Come True. I also taught an English class and a Hip Hop dance class in my counterpart´s barrio. Afterwards she texted me that the kids are "fascinated with me." Her words, not mine. If I could print text messages, I would have. AND, I think I will be starting up a community bank with a dope ass group of women in another barrio, they are totally pumped on the idea. Basically, I am pretty much in LOVE with my life right now! I have a ton of work to do, I never get bored, I search for free time. Makes me feel like I am back to myself. Unhealthy, yes; but happiness is what counts, right? Next step is to tweak the schdule so that I have more time to myself, we all know how crabby I get when I dont have large amounts of alone time. Also, I pass by the Bahia (translates to Bay, means the black market selling area of the city) every day on my way downtown to the office, and it kills me to see all those 2 for $5 shirts that I have not had the chance to buy!

But, given the fact that I cannot talk right now, I have been forced into taking the day off, world peace will have to be put on hold for the time being. I spent the day today sleeping and reading, it was great. I got some AWESOME care packages in the mail this week from my AWESOME amigas back home. Cosmo magazine+candy=good day. Thanks for the gifts, gals! The ads were the best part, ahhh, I love looking at clothes that I cannot buy...Did you know that they are selling Vera Wang at Kohls?!?! Ahhhh! At least the prices are too high that even if I was in the States, I wouldnt be able to afford it. And the new sweaters from Old Navy look so cute! Too bad its so hot here I sweat standing still. And, for what its worth, I learned all about the blended orgasm, secrets all guys hide, how to spice up my relationship and what my ob-gyn really thinks. All information that I am sure will come in handy.

Anyhow, I should head home. Money is a wasting at this internet cafe, and my throat is craving some cinnimon-lime-rum tea...

love and hugs (have I mentioned that the common Ecuadorian greeting is kissing on the cheek? Needless to say I have gotten over my personal space issues...)
Theresa

No comments: