This website is so that all those who love Theresa can keep tabs on her adventures in Peace Corps-Ecuador!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Is this because I´m black...? Just kidding!

So, as you can see I have moved my PC Assignment to the top of the page because today was Site Assignment Day! (Lovingly dubbed the "day of destiny.") I will not make a whole post talking about my site since you can read the same info above. As you can tell, my prediction was right, and I am being sent to the big scary city! Who would have thought that joining the Peace Corps would wind me up in a city that is bigger than both of my hometowns put together??? I checked the stats on Wikilepedia, and the population of the metro-area of Guayaquil is bigger than that of Milwaukee´s metro area plus the population of Green Bay (and then some...). So this is the site that I was worried about, but I have been prepping myself since Thursday, so I am feeling pretty good about it (scared, but good). I am told that my organization is one of the strongest ones that PC Ecuador works with, and I get the impression that they are basically THE major Afro-Ecuadorian organization in the country. The counterparts (our direct contact people) seem super rad, very motivated and full of good vision for the community. Overall, I am pretty sure that I got pretty lucky. What I do feel very good about is the reasoning I was given on how my site was selected. I am not going to go hooting my horn or anything, but it does seem that the staff has a lot of confidence in my potential as a volunteer. Lets hope I dont let them all down!

I go on a site visit this weekend, so I will know more after that. Until then, there is really nothing going on with me that is remotely as important as my site assignment. I have lots of reading to do!

I hope you all are well. I miss home really bad this week, for whatever reason, probably because last week was so trying. Anyhow, thanks for all the nice comments you guys make on this site, that stuff is majorly important to me (ps, if you havent made a comment, now is the time, because I am starting to question our friendship...sooo just kidding). Also, whenever you feel the urge to send me some care packages, get to getting...you know how I like presents...Target is open til 9pm...hahaha

love you all,
theresa

4 comments:

The Benders said...

Written by Stephanie for Lilly

Hola Auntie "T",
I know that you are having a couple rough days, but always look at the positive side of things! Heck, I don't like making poopies in my pants, but at least I don't have to use the dirty toilets yet.

We love you and miss you at ton,
The Benders

Jeri said...

Hello Theresa!
I have never laughed so hard, i swear! Gosh you are a funny lady. I just started reading your journal entries a few days ago and i was sitting alone in my apt laughing out loud. Keep it up!!! I promise to walk down to the laundry room and kiss the washer and dryer in your honor;) Is the address on your home page still accurate? Or has it changed now that you have your assignment in the big city? What is the time difference there compared to here?
Jeri

Sam said...

Hey T!

I was informed by the infamous Loretta Larky of your blog. She states its a must read and I do agree. Just be careful for the foriegn bird poop that randomly lands on peoples heads. Trajedies of those sorts should never be relived. Sounds like you are going to be having an amazing experience and I wish you the best of luck....I will keep reading. BTW: I bumped into timmy tuesday at summerfest and he really needs what not to wear! HA!

Raegan said...

Hey Skank!,
You have a package coming from Becky with a small hint of Raegan in it. Remember the picture I was telling you about...its coming! Get ready to laugh out loud SERIOUSLY! I miss you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! Can you get really SICK and come home now? I would really appreciate it. Let me know what you think of my plan to get you back in the states.